Banana muffins are so easy to make and are a great breakfast, lunchbox item, or after school snack. They also freeze well. To free muffins wrap individually and store in a large freezer bag.
I’ve been making this simple banana muffin recipe for over twenty years. You probably have all these ingredients in your kitchen. So whip up a batch before the kids get home from school or wake up from their nap.
I’ve made this recipe with white flour, whole grain flour, and half and half. It makes perfect muffins every time. Substitute the oil for applesauce for a healthier muffin.
I double the recipe so we have enough muffins to last the entire week.
One important tip to note when making muffins is to not over mix the batter. Mix until the ingredients are combined. After scooping muffins into the muffin tin, allow them to rest for 5 minutes. This creates a fluffier muffin.
To make muffins that are all the same size, use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the tin. I use two scoops for each muffin.
Remember the riper the banana the sweeter the muffin. Once bananas are too ripe for my kids to eat we peel them and freeze them in small bags so they are ready to use in recipes.
If your children are little, try making this recipe in mini muffin tins.
Simple Banana Muffins
- 1½ cups flour white, wheat, or half and half
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 shake of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 mashed bananas
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup oil or applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix together bananas, eggs, and oil.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix together until the dry ingredients are completely mixed in.
- Scoop into a greased muffin tin (or line with muffin cups), and bake at 350 F for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove immediately from the muffin tin and serve.
For a fun twist on this recipe add chocolate chips to the muffin batter before baking.
More Muffin Recipes
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Muffins
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Lemon Muffins
- New York Style Coffee Cake Style Crumb Muffins
- Paleo Banana Muffins
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Pear Muffins
- S’more Muffins