These New York Style Coffee Cake Crumb Muffins actually have a little coffee in them, and they’re topped with a cream cheese glaze. You’ll love them as part of your breakfast, for a coffee break, or even as dessert. And the addition of ground hazelnut makes them perfect to have with hazelnut coffee!
If you’re a fan of muffins, you might also enjoy Hearty Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins, Mocha Banana Muffins, or Morning Glory Muffins. And I have even more muffin recipes that you can find in my Recipe Index.
New York Style Coffee Cake Crumb Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon ground hazelnut
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water water
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place liners in a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and buttermilk for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter, eggs, cinnamon, baking powder, coffee, and hazelnut. Mix together with a wooden spoon. Pour batter into the muffin pan.
- Combine the crumb ingredients in a small bowl. Stir for 2 - 3 minutes. Top the muffins with the crumbs and press lightly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the glaze ingredients until it resembles icing (about 7 minutes).
- Remove the muffins from the oven and top with the glaze using a piping bag.