If you are looking for a sweet and tasty treat try these delicious mocha banana muffins. There are a few variations on this recipe to make it work for your family, but however you make them they are sure to delight! These are perfect for a brunch or even a dessert. My kids think they are cupcakes, little do they know they are eating whole grain flour, bananas, and applesauce!
Mocha Banana Muffins (Whole Wheat)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil or applesauce
- 1/4 cup strong black coffee
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts chopped optional
- 1 cup coconut optional
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips optional
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Then add in eggs, oil (or applesauce), buttermilk, coffee, bananas, and vanilla.
- Mix until combined and moist. (Do not over mix your batter.)
- Mix in walnuts, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full with the muffin batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes.