I’ve made this lemon poppy seed bread recipe for years. My children request it on a regular basis because it is so delicious.
If you are looking for a healthy bread or muffin recipe – this is not for you. (Try my delicious gluten free zucchini bread for a healthier option)
You may omit the poppy seeds from this recipe. However, even my pickiest of eaters loves this bread with the seeds!
With this recipe you can make lemon loaves or muffins. My kids prefer the mini muffins, but I detest cleaning out those muffin tins. (If you don’t have a mini muffin tin– this is the absolute best one and actually easier to clean)
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
- If you are making mini loaves or muffins decrease cooking time to about 25 minutes.
- When fully cooked the top will be golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Then remove from loaf pan and place on a wire cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Slice and serve.
What I love most about this lemon poppy seed bread recipe is that it is fast enough to make in the morning before school. When you use the mini muffin tin you’ll have breakfast ready in less than 30 minutes.
This bread is so moist and delicious that if you want to freeze it for later you’ll need to flash freeze before wrapping.
First let the lemon poppy seed bread cool completely. Then place the muffins or loaf in the freezer to make sure the outside freezes. After the outside is frozen, wrap tightly in cling wrap (I prefer press n seal). Then freeze the bread or muffins in a Ziploc bag.
This lemon poppy seed bread stays fresh in the freezer for about a month.