These brown sugar muffins are one of my “go to” muffin recipes. My kids love them for breakfast or a snack and I always double the recipe.
You can freeze these brown sugar muffins or pack the leftovers in their lunchbox.
When I created this recipe I had an oven that always cooked things quicker than most ovens. Please adjust your baking time accordingly. If you are making regular sized muffins you might need to bake them for 20-22 minutes. Mini muffins bake much quicker so keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
These brown sugar muffins aren’t super healthy, so it is usually a special treat in our house. It’s also a great item to bring to a potluck brunch. They are always a big hit.
They are also a great weight watchers snack! Each muffin is only 2 pts!
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups flour ( I use whole wheat or a mixture of white and wheat)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or substitute applesauce for oil)
- brown sugar
- Mix together flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add egg, milk and oil and mix together.
- Fill muffin cups 1/4 full with batter.
- Add a pinch of brown sugar. (Or a little more)
- Cover the brown sugar with batter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
What’s great about these brown sugar muffins (or any muffin) is that you can customize them to your own taste. Some simple reader substitutions are below:
- Substitute applesauce instead of oil.
- Try cinnamon applesauce instead of oil (yum!).
- Use powdered milk.
- Increase the fiber by adding shredded apple, cranberries, or bran.
- Drizzle with caramel.
- Add blueberries to the mix.
- Brush muffins with melted butter after cooking.
- Substitute regular milk with coconut milk.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg and a splash of vanilla.
- Use one mashed banana as a substitute for the egg and oil.
- Mix in cinnamon chips (you can find these during the holidays).
Remember to add your modifications to the comments below! I’d love to hear how they turned out.
More great recipes to try: