I’ve been making homemade donuts for many years and baked donuts are so much easier than fried! (Although you can find my tried and true fried donut recipe here) I use these donut pans by Wilton for my chocolate donuts. This recipe is so easy your kids can do it.
Celebrate on a special morning with these homemade chocolate donuts. They are delicious and you can change the glaze color to celebrate all year round.
Chocolate donut ingredients
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Donut glaze ingredients
Baked Donut Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, beat together the vanilla, egg, sour cream, milk, and oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
- Spoon in a greased donut pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the tops spring back when you touch them.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan before glazing.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and a few drops of orange gel food coloring until smooth.
- Dunk the donuts in the glaze to fully coat and place on a wire rack to set, about 5 minutes to completely dry.
- Using a microwave safe bowl, melt half of the Ghirardelli melting chocolate until smooth
- Pour the chocolate into a piping bag and cut off the tip
- Drizzle the chocolate over the doughnuts to give it stripes
Let set completely before eating.
Change the color of your glaze to make these donuts all year long.
Here are some fun color combinations.
Red & White: Valentine's Day, 4th of July, Christmas
Green & White: Christmas, St. Patrick's Day
Blue & White: 4th of July, Hanukkah
Pastel & White: Easter