Are you looking for a fun and festive breakfast idea this holiday season? One of my favorite holiday traditions is donuts on Christmas Eve morning. Some years we buy donuts but when I’m feeling ambitious the kids and I make homemade donuts.
Even though purchasing donuts is easier, I think homemade donuts taste SO MUCH BETTER! Plus, you can customize them to make your favorite flavors, and for additional fun (and maybe a little stress) have the kids help with make them.
These white chocolate candy cane donuts are SO pretty you almost don’t want to eat them!
These white chocolate candy cane donuts use box cake mix and are fairly simple to make. They do require a donut pan. but pans are inexpensive last forever. (I’ve had mine for at least 10 years!)
If you like cake donuts (my favorite) then you will love the taste of these donuts.
In this donut recipe we used Krispy Kreme cake mix, but you can use any kind or flavor of cake mix in a baked donut recipe. One of my favorite cake donuts is the double chocolate (which could be made with chocolate cake mix and chocolate candy melts – yummm). But I digress.
Empty the cake mix into a mixing bowl and follow the directions on the box to prepare the donut batter.
I like to use a hand mixer when making cakes because if I use my stand mixer I tend to forget it is running and over mix the batter.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients according to the cake box directions. Don’t over mix. Did you know that if you over mix cake batter you get a more dense, chewy-er cake? Unless you like your donuts that way, make sure you follow the directions and don’t over mix.
Spray your donut pan with nonstick spray.
Pour the batter into the donut pan, do not overfill. I pour my batter about 2/3 of the way full.
Bake the donuts for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
While the donuts are baking crush your candy canes and begin to prepare your candy melts. Once the donuts are cooled, dip them in the melted chocolate and add the crushed candy canes to the top of the donuts.
- 1 box of cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- White Wilton Candy Melts
- Candy canes, crushed
- Wilton Donut Pan
- Mix together the cake mix, water, oil and eggs according to the cake mix box.
- Spray the donut pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the donut mix into a measuring cup for easy pouring. Pour the donut mix into the donut pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool.
- Place the candy canes into a ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pan or the bottom of a glass cup.
- Melt the white candy melts in microwave or with this Wilton Melting Pot.
- Dip the top of the donuts in the white melts. Before the white melts harden, sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
Leave a Reply