The following is a post from contributing writer Lana (like banana).
I like to search clearance bins. Great treasures can be found in these bins. After Halloween, Michael’s had welcome door mats marked down to a $1.00. I’d say it was a super deal.
Pottery Barn sells similar ones for $69.00 and up. With just a few supplies, I turned the clearance buy into a personalized door mat.
How To Make a Personalized Door Mat
- Door mat (Mine was made out of fiber like rough bamboo material.)
- Spray paint
- Template of design or monogram
1. Shake out rug to get excess dirt out.
2. Spray rug with spray paint. Two coats may be needed. I bent mine in the middle then sprayed again, so it would go down to the grain.
3. Let dry.
4. Print monogram on paper and cut out letter using an X-Acto or craft knife.
5. Paint monogram with a sponge brush. I did mine thick because I knew it was going to be walked on.
Enjoy your new creation!
Things to Note
- Although black is very elegant – any light dirt or light dog hair shows up easily.
- I was worried about how the mat would stand up to 7+ people walking on it constantly or how it would fare in the weather. After a few weeks, it still looks brand new. I can’t wait to find more of these on clearance.
- If you do get spray paint on your hand, it comes off easily with odorless mineral spirits.
More fun DIY projects:
- Upcycled T-Shirt Rug Tutorial
- How to Make a Rug
- How to Make an Easel
- How to Make a Cardboard Chalkboard
- DIY Faux Stained Glass
- DIY Stenciled Marble Coasters
- How to Make Garden Stones with Kids
Leave a Reply