By contributing writer Tessa
Tis the season for all things pumpkin! My family (especially me) gets giddy with all the orange orbs I am pulling from the garden. You can frequently find cookie sheets full of various pumpkins and winter squashes baking away in my oven this time of year.
Fresh puree is infinitely tastier than any variety you find in a can. It is an extra step, but I liken the difference to a fresh tomato off the garden vine versus a canned tomato—no comparison! In case you’re interested, I wrote a post to help you make your own pumpkin puree and explain that all pumpkins are not created equal.
Here is a quick recipe for pumpkin bars that your family will love! And you, as a mommy, can be happy that a vegetable is lurking within. You can eat it as is or consider some of these fun toppings:
- whipped cream
- melted caramel (add some milk to thin it)
- a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- cream cheese frosting
- maple sweetened creme fraiche
Not gluten free? This can be made with regular flour. See the note at the end of the recipe.
- ¾ cup allowed butter (vegan butter, coconut oil, palm shortening)
- 1 cup palm sugar, or brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Nu Naturals Pure White Stevia Powder or ¼ cup additional sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh is best!
- 3 teaspoons chia meal gelled in ⅓ cup hot water or 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup millet flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ cup chocolate chips (or more!) to taste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350° Fand grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in pumpkin, vanilla, and chia egg.
- With the mixer still running, sprinkle in the the baking soda, guar gum, and sea salt.Continue with the flours.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
A gluten free all-purpose flour can be use although the flavor will change, and some all-purpose mixes do not do well with no eggs.
You might also like…
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Pumpkin Spiced Granola
- Blueberry Lemon Oatmeal Bars
- More recipes from Tessa