The key to making a great pie crust is temperature. You need to start with cold flour, cold water, and then bake at a high temperature.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons of ice cold water
- Mix flour and salt
- Add shortening and mix
- Then add the ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time until your dough looks something like this…
- Form your dough into a ball and roll out on a floured surface.
- Here is a trick to transferring your pie crust from counter top to pie plate. Fold your crust in half...
- then lift it into the pan.
- Add your filling and repeat for the top crust.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for the amount of time specified in your pie recipe.