So, last week you all gave me almost 80 lemon recipes! Thank you! The winner of the lemon link-up is Momma of Many who gave a link to all the lemon recipes on her website, as well as a Christmas scent. Thanks for participating Momma!
This weekend my dad and I juiced over 60 pounds of lemons and froze the juice. I plan to have lemon juice in my freezer until the tree is ready to pick again next year!
Below is a great recipe for lemon meringue pie. A little advice, read the entire recipe before you begin, there are a few complicated and time consuming steps, so it is better to be prepared, than to end up with burnt milk…
Lemon Meringue Pie
For the Filling
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- zest of one lemon
- 1/8 cup lemon juice a little more for a more lemony pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 1 9 inch pie crust, baked
For the Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 8 tablespoons white sugar
- Before you begin, bake your pie crust and separate the egg whites from the yolks. It is important when you are making meringue that you do not have any egg yolk in the whites or it will not form.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir in milk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Cook over a medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture boils. You must stir constantly or the milk will burn!
- Take about a cup of the milk mixture and mix it into the egg yolks.
- Then slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan.
- Continue to stir until the mixture comes to a boil and becomes thick. (This should happen at the same time- give or take)
- Remove from the heat and pour into the baked pie shell. Set aside.
- To make the meringue, pour egg whites into a cold mixing bowl and begin to whip. (An electric mixer works best).
- Gradually add sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue on top of the pie making sure you cover all the filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until the meringue is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Cover with foil and allow pie to chill in the fridge for an additional 3 to 4 hours for best results.