I don’t know if this is really “Chili Pie” but it’s what I threw together the other night and my whole family devoured it. Not my healthiest meal, but great when you are in a pinch and short on time.
This recipe calls for Ranch Style Beans which look like this in the can. You can find them on the bean aisle and they are fairly inexpensive. At the commissary you can buy them for about $0.65 a can.
If you don’t have Ranch beans you can substitute kidney, black bean, or even pinto. But ranch are the best. 🙂
To make the tortillas fit I usually cut them into strips for the layers. Use the odd shaped strips for the corners. Baking uncovered makes the last layer of tortillas crispy and delicious!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 can Ranch Style Beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 10 fajita sized flour tortillas
- Brown the ground beef or turkey. (Or if you are like me, pull a bag of frozen browned ground beef from your freezer)
- After the beef is browned add the taco seasoning, 3/4 cup water and the beans with the sauce from the can.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Layer tortillas, meat and bean mixture and then cheese.
- Add one final layer or tortillas and then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.
OK, this is going on my menu plan next week!
I have a very similar recipe but you use corn chips or broken up crunchy shells. I like the sounds of this. I read the comment in the recipe about Ranch Beans, but what exactly are they? Are they more than just beans? Are the seasonings/flavor different? I’d probably need more cheese since our family loves cheese. Did you serve with sour cream or even top with lettuce? Can’t wait to try this and find out what “ranch beans” are. :o)
Yes, we served with sour cream and lettuce. Ranch beans come in some sort of sauce. I’m not sure what it is, but I’m sure you could substitute.
You can use chili beans or Bush’s grilling beans, both work well.
Sarah Poling (@sarahpoling) says
I think Aldi gets ‘ranch beans’ by a slighty different names a few times a year!!
Looks yum! But the picture looks like you used chedder cheese as is yellow. I guess both would be good!
Thanks for the recipe.
monica bell says
I have corn tortillas on hand , do you gals think I could use these?
Cindy A. says
This looks so yummy and even better still it looks EASY! Everyone knows how I love easy. I am going to try this but with a little twist… I shall post my try later.