There are so many really amazing crafts and recipes you can make during the holidays. But these super simple Christmas pancakes will make the biggest impact on your kids.
A long, long time ago I tried to use a pancake shape maker and it was a total disaster. Although I’m not an artist, I can do basic shapes, like snowman, tree, candy cane, etc.
I realized that instead of an expensive tool I could use a super cheap squirt bottle (pick one up at Walmart for $2) and draw my own shapes.
They aren’t fancy but the kids LOVED them. In fact, they asked for “Christmas pancakes” almost every morning in December.
They also realized that if you can make a shape you can make letters too. This caused the children to request their name and other shapes on their birthdays. I’m glad most of my kids have short names!
- Pancake batter homemade or box mix
- Squirt bottle – I bought one at Walmart for less than $2
- Make your pancakes according to the directions.
- Add a little extra milk or water to the mix to thin out the pancakes. Thick pancakes will clog up the squirt bottle.
- Mix thoroughly to remove all lumps. Lumps also clog the squirt bottle.
- Fill your bottle with pancake batter. I found using a ladle and funnel worked best.
- Using the bottle create designs on a hot buttered griddle. I set mine to 350 degrees. Initially I started out making snowflakes, but they kept looking like spider webs, so I went on to other things. Using the bottle allows you to draw on the griddle. I am not an artist, but it was easy to make snowmen, Christmas trees, stars, gingerbread men, even write the kids’ names.
- You can even add chocolate chips or sprinkles.
- Your kids will absolutely love these pancakes. It doesn’t matter how they taste, somehow eating your name in pancake is the best thing in the world for a six year old.