For years I’ve tried recipes for oatmeal pancakes and for years my children have told me how much they dislike oatmeal pancakes. It was until I read The $5 Dinner Mom Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook that I realized I should be grinding the oatmeal instead of soaking it, as I had been doing in the past. While I don’t know which is healthier, grinding the oatmeal removed the texture issue that came from mixing it in, and my kids loved these new oatmeal pancakes!
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- Grind the oatmeal in a food processor or blender.
- Combine oatmeal, brown sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Sift the whole wheat flour into the mixture.
- Add the bran and germ (which would have separated during sifting) into the mixture.
- Mix together.
- Add egg, applesauce and milk.
- Mix together until thoroughly blended.
- Cook on a buttered 275/300 degree griddle.
- Flip then serve.