By contributing writer Tessa
My kids simply adore pancakes, and honestly, I did too when I was growing up! As this food-conscientious mom knows, pancakes in their normal state aren’t necessarily healthy. I feel strongly about feeding my kids healthy fats and protein at their breakfast meal, so sometimes I have to get a bit creative.
These paleo pancakes came about as another nutrient dense, grain-free alternative to offer my kiddos as a nourishing school send-off. The eggs, kefir, and almond flour all provide healthy fats and protein. If you are not familiar with kefir, it is like a drinkable yogurt. You could use buttermilk instead or some favorite yogurt with enough milk added to make it drinkable. It is good stuff, and in its uncooked state, it also provides loads of healthy probiotics for tummies!
To minimize the amount of pure maple syrup my kids ingest, we often make a berry syrup. They love it just as well, and the amount of sugar is nominal compared to maple syrup by itself.
Perfect Paleo Pancakes
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup any allowed milk
- 1/2 cup kefir thinned yogurt, or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- stevia 16 drops, or 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or light vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour I use Honeyville Brand
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour My kids are sensitive to the flavor of coconut so I use cassava flour sometimes too!
- Preheat a heavy, large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- While the pan preheats, combine all the liquid ingredients in a blender.
- Follow with all the dry ingredients and blend to combine. Let the mixture sit a few minutes to thicken and absorb moisture. Add more of any of the flour to thicken if necessary (different brands of flour absorb different amounts of liquid).
- Thoroughly grease your skillet and pour the batter to form 4 - 6 inch pancakes.
- Leave undisturbed until bubbles form in the middle, then flip. If they are browning too quickly before this happens, turn your heat down a bit.
Cassidy @ Cassidy's Craveable Creations says
These look A-Mazing, I will have to try these!!!
Andrea Wyckoff says
These pancakes look heavenly!! I love that they are grain-free too!