By contributing writer Tessa
These gluten-free strawberry lemon muffins with tart bits of strawberries studded throughout are AMAZING!
Fresh strawberry season gets extended around here when the California ones start to come to market in late winter or early spring. One of my favorite fruits of all times, strawberries are low in sugar and high in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Even though they can seem like a treat, there are plenty of goodies lurking within!
I wanted to take advantage of these beautiful berries and make a nutritious muffins for picky kiddos. They are easily adapted to dairy free if needed, and different flavor combos could be tried! Great flavors that marry well with strawberries include chocolate, almond, lime, or cinnamon. For this version, I added the sunny flavor of lemon to brighten the taste.
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup tapicoa flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthum gum
- zest from one lemon
- 2¼ cups diced strawberries (about 8-10 ounces), divided
- ½ cup butter or coconut oil, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Juice from ½ lemon, plus enough yogurt or milk to make ½ cup (I used plain yogurt)
- Preheat oven to to 350° F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients except for the strawberries and then stir in 2 cups of the strawberries. This keeps them from turning your muffins pink! Reserved strawberry pieces are for the tops.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, beating well, followed by the lemon juice and yogurt or milk mixture.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and gently fold until a thick batter is formed and ingredients are incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Press a few additional diced pieces of strawberries into the tops, if you want them to look pretty.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 16-20 minutes until the the tops are just set and slightly golden.
You might also like…