Many times I will take a recipe and adapt it for my family. I will omit ingredients we don’t like or that are expensive. I also try to find ways to make a recipe easier to make since I always seem pressed for time in the evenings.
My sister made this baked ziti recipe she found on All Recipes. It was a big hit with my family and they requested it when I was menu planning this week. After looking at the recipe I found a way to simplify it a bit for our family.
As I was finishing up this post I had an afterthought. If our family were to go to Olive Garden and order baked ziti it would cost us over $75. My homemade version costs 1/10 as much and tastes better!
- ½ lb ground turkey
- ½ lb ground sausage (I used turkey)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 box ziti noodles
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 3 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 7 oz ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese (to top the casserole)
- Brown the turkey and the sausage.
- When it is almost done add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- While your meat is cooking boil the noodles. (By the way, my sister bought me this awesome Multi-Cooker for my birthday. I have already used it several times and I have only been home 3 days!)
- Drain the noodles and mix together with the meat in a large bowl.
- Add spaghetti sauce.
- In a separate bowl mix together cream cheese, sour cream and ricotta.
- Then add to the meat mixture.
- Place mixture in a 9 x 13 pan (that has been sprayed with nonstick)
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Baked covered for about 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Uncover the last 5 minutes.