As someone who does not like the taste (or texture) of mushrooms, I needed a beef stroganoff without mushrooms recipe. Most recipes call for cream of mushroom soup so I needed to create my own recipe without the mushrooms.
If you love mushrooms and want to include them in the recipe, you can slice fresh mushrooms and add them to the pan while cooking the steak.
Of you want to make your life easier, add a small can of sliced mushrooms to the pan while cooking the steak.
Beef Stroganoff without Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 pounds sirloin tip cut into thin slices (I use top round cut into thin strips)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 16 ounce container sour cream (do not use fat free)
- Slice steak into thin strips, and chop onion.
- Melt butter in skillet (or wok).
- Add beef and cook until brown.
- About 3 minutes after starting the beef add onion, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- When the beef is browned turn down the heat and add sour cream.
- Do not let the sour cream boil, just heat through and serve over noodles.
What’s funny about this recipe is that I posted about not liking mushrooms on Instagram and y’all went crazy. Apparently there’s a lot of people who don’t mind mushrooms.
Personally I love this beef stroganoff without mushrooms recipe. However more importantly I love that it doesn’t contain soup. I’m trying to eat less salt and most canned foods contain much more salt than I’d normally use in a recipe.
No judgement here if you need to use a can of soup to get dinner on the table. Whatever works for you!
Beef Stroganoff without Mushrooms Freezer Meal Directions
This recipe is not my favorite freezer meal because sometimes the sour cream will separate when reheating. If this happens add a little extra sour cream while you are warming it up on the stove top.
Follow the recipe above except do not cook the noodles. Place the meat and sour cream sauce in a freezer bag. (Don’t forget to label your bag!)
To reheat, let the meat and sauce thaw completely overnight. While the noodles are boiling, reheat the meat and sauce slowly in a sauce pan on the stove.