During the summers ants definitely have their way around the house. If you have some of those bugs that you can’t get rid of, here is my trick to get rid of ants using only three ingredients.
After adding a screened-in porch, we started getting ants in our home from time to time. We tried ant solutions that we could buy at the store, as well as numerous exterminator visits. One winter we spent almost $300 because of multiple visits.
This three ingredient ant killer solution was the cheapest method. The bonus- it uses items you already have in your house.
When ants show up in your home, often your first reaction may be to grab the phone and call the exterminator. (Or, perhaps that is your second reaction, as your first reaction may be to want to squish them all.)
Before calling the exterminator to get rid of ants in your home, save yourself money and chemicals by trying a simple, three ingredient solution that will get rid of ants in your home.
If you have pets and kids (like I do), I always recommend trying natural options first to get rid of ants (or other pesky bugs).
Note: If you don’t keep borax in your home you need to! It has so many uses and it’s super cheap! Not only does it kill ants, it gets laundry clean, and is used in a variety of other ways. Borax, vinegar, and baking soda are my three go-to’s for simple DIY household products.
How to Get Rid of Ants (using only 3 ingredients!)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Borax (find on Amazon with free shipping here!)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Cotton balls or paper towel
1. Mix the Borax and sugar together until well combined.
2. Add the mixture to your warm water and mix constantly until the powder has been completely dissolved.
3. Seal the mixture in a jar or container for future use, and use only what you need to get rid of ants. Save the rest of the solution for later.
4. It is important that you clearly label the jar, as it will just look like water. Do not leave this where children can get to it. (Because this is such an easy and inexpensive solution to make, however, I only kept what I made until after the ants had been gone for a week or more.)
5. Fill some jar lids, milk caps, or other shallow containers with cotton balls or a wad of paper towel.
6. Add the sugar-Borax solution to the prepared lids making sure to soak the cotton balls (or paper towel).
7. Wait. It may take the ants a while to find the solution. But, once they do, let them feast (and take the solution back to their home). At our house, to speed up the finding process, I placed a couple of the soaked cotton balls directly on the ledge in my kitchen where most of the ants were.
PSA: You will have more ants before you get rid of ants!
However, within a day, you’ll probably see much fewer ants. Over the course of just a few days, all of the ants should likely be gone.
Remember, while your solution is attracting ants watch where they are entering your home.
When you find the entrance point make sure you seal it up. Usually they are coming in through a crack in a window or door. Seal this quickly and easily with caulk.
This will get rid of ants permanently!
What other solutions have you taken to get rid of ants in your home?
You could also try this method for how to get rid of black ants.