By contributing writer Beth
These Easy Embellished Flip Flops are crazy simple to do. I made these from beginning to end in less than an hour. This is a super easy craft for kids and adults. There’s no sewing and no glue. Just flip flops and cute fabric.
And how cute is this stretchy fabric with the lace stripes in it? I love how girly this is!
I paid less than $5 for the supplies. I bought the flip flops at the craft store for $1.99. You can also use any flip flops you have lying around that could use a facelift. I paid $2 for 1/3 yard of knit fabric, and I already had the pinking shears. So $3.99 was all it cost. What a sweet deal!
If I made another pair, I’d pick navy and white jersey knit and put them on red flip flops. How nautical and cute would that be with your favorite t-shirt and cropped jeans?! You could do this for a birthday party craft if you have a beach theme or a nautical theme.
Easy Embellished Flip Flops
- 1 pair of flip flops (I got these at the craft store for $1.99)
- 1/3 yard of stretchy knit fabric
- pinking shears or scissors
1. Cut the length of the fabric to form a long strip 6 inches wide. You’re essentially cutting the fabric in half.
I use pinking shears because I like the way it makes the edges a little more fancy. You can definitely use regular scissors for this if you’d rather have a nice, neat straight edge on your ruffles.
2. Cut the fabric into strips about one inch wide. For these large flip flops, I used 48 total strips of 1 inch x 6 inches of stretch knit fabric.
3. Tie a double overhand knot (yes, that’s a normal knot) securing a strip to the strap on the flip flop. You’ll want the knot to rest on the outside of the strap. Slide the knotted fabric down to the bottom of the strap before adding the next strip.
You’ll keep pushing the strips down each time to make sure they’re snug and tight against each other with no gaps. The inside of the strap will look like this when you’re done.
4. Repeat with both sides of the strap and then complete the other shoe.
If one of the strips gets tied funny or sticks out in a weird way, you can trim it to make it match the pieces beside it.
You’re ready to sport your newly embellished flip flops!