Summer is a great time to enjoy doing crafts with your kids. Most kids love to paint and are proud of their creations, but they’ll be even more proud if they help to actually make the paint. This easy edible marshmallow paint is safe for kids and is made from common kitchen ingredients.
You can let young kids help to measure and stir, and, of course, choose the colors, and they’ll be happy to sample a few marshmallows while you’re at it! Just remember to be careful and help protect your kids from the hot bowl and ingredients.
And to protect kids’ clothes while you do art projects, try our Easy Sew Waterproof Art Smock. If you have older kids who like to use acrylic paint, encourage them to try Painting on Recycled Materials.
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch (optional to thicken)
- Food coloring
- Stir sticks or spoons
1. In a small bowl, combine the marshmallows and corn starch. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and then mix.
2. Stir in the water and heat for another 30 seconds.
3. Stir in the corn syrup and heat for another 30 seconds.
4. Separate into four small containers. Add 1 small drop of food coloring to each one and mix with your stir sticks or spoons.
5. To use, dab a small amount on the end of a paint brush and paint away!