These Wizard of Oz cupcakes are made with cake mix, frosting, candy and a little fondant.
Any Wicked or Wizard of Oz fan will absolutely adore these cupcakes at their birthday party.
Last year I took my daughter to see Wicked on Broadway. If you aren’t familiar with Wicked, it is the story around The Wizard of Oz (one of my favorite movies).
To say my daughter loved Wicked is an understatement. When a friend volunteered to make cupcakes for her birthday party and you can only imagine my daughter’s delight when they showed up with these Wicked cupcakes.
The cupcakes were half chocolate half vanilla for Galinda/ Elphiba.
Candy legs and fondant shoes.
Hershey kisses and chocolate wafers for the hat. We used Thin Mints for the hat, but any chocolate wafer cookie will work.
Of course, green frosting completes these Wizard of Oz Cupcakes.
These cupcakes were the highlight of the party for my daughter!
Wizard of Oz Cupcakes
- 1 Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 White Cake Mix
- Red Fondant
- Hershey Kisses
- Chocolate Wafers
- Candy Sticks
- Green Buttercream Frosting
- Prepare cake mixes by following directions on the box.
- Using a plastic bag or piping bag fill muffin tins with chocolate and white cake mix.
- Bake as directed on the box.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling make shoes out of red fondant.
- Break candy sticks in half to use as the legs.
- Frost the top of the cupcakes with green buttercream.
- Add the cookie and Hershey kiss. Use a little bit of frosting to secure the Hershey kiss onto the cookie.
- Attach the fondant shoes to the candy sticks.
- Place candy sticks into the cupcake.
If you have to bring a snack to your child’s class this Halloween, try making these witch Wizard of Oz cupcakes. You can even save time by ordering cupcakes already made and frosted with green frosting.
Then all you would need to do to complete these Halloween cupcakes is to add the legs, shoes, and hat. Easy peasy!