A soccer birthday cake is very easy to make. Even a beginning cake decorator will have this cake finished in under an hour.
If you have a child who loves soccer (and who doesn’t have this year’s USWNT) this cake is perfect for a soccer themed birthday.
When my children were young, I make many of their cakes using Legos or Playmobil. The “toys” would double as a gift for them and it make decorating the cake so much easier and faster.
If your child isn’t a soccer cake fan, you could create a similar cake with hockey, football, basketball or baseball.
The most difficult part is the “grass” but Wilton’s grass tip would make it a whole lot easier.
Soccer Birthday Cake Supplies
- 1 9×13 cake
- Green frosting
- White frosting
- 1 hard candy (shaped like a ball)
- LEGO or Playmobil Soccer set
Soccer Birthday Cake
- Bake the 9x13 cake as directed on the package.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the baking dish. (this is optional)
- Frost with a base coat of green frosting.
- Frost the entire cake with the grass tip (Wilton 233) or a star tip to create the look of grass.
- Use the white frosting to create the lines on the field.
- Add the lego or playmobil characters to decorate the cake.
I used a 9×13 pan for the soccer birthday cake, but you can also use a sheet cake pan if you need a bigger cake. If making a sheet cake, bake two cakes and stack them on top of each other. Put a layer of frosting between the cakes. Decorate as desired.
Use the round candy for the soccer ball. If you want to use a “Whopper” you can draw the soccer ball design on the chocolate with your white frosting.
If you don’t have LEGO or Playmobil characters you can use popsicle sticks to create players.
Color copy a team photo for your child, cut out each player and glue it to the sticks. It will take a bit more time, but the personalization is really fun.
If you are serving the soccer birthday cake for a party the kids will have a fun time finding themselves on the cake!
Need more cake baking inspiration. Try these simple cakes.