The following post is from contributing writer Kristen.
Nowadays, it is normal for people to be connected most of the time. It’s not just teenagers who are constantly texting during family get togethers. Children are receiving their own cell phones younger, more parents are on Facebook or blogging, and there are so many working people attached to their Blackberries day and night.
I think everyone has been in a social situation where there is someone texting instead of talking to the people who are with them. Or perhaps you’ve been in a situation where your child asks you something, and you’re not paying attention because you are on Pinterest or Facebook.
It might be time to create a Technology Time Out for your family. During this time out, everyone in the family should place their blackberries, phones, computers, remote controls, video games, and anything else that can distract family members from spending quality time with each other, into time out!
How to Make a Technology Time Out
- 1 piece of white card stock
- 1 black marker
- 1 brad
- 1 craft stick
- a circular item for tracing a circle
- 1 container that will fit your family’s communication devices.
1. Trace a circle on the piece of card stock using the black marker.
3. Fold the circle into quarters and unfold so you can see the creases.
4. Write numbers on the clock using the creases as your guide.
5. Make clock hands, using scrap paper from the card stock.
6. Attach the hands to the clock using the craft brad.
7. Tape a craft stick to the back of the clock.
8. Attach the clock onto a container that will hold your communication devices while they are in time out.
9. Set the time on the paper clock for when your family members can pick up their communication devices again.
10. Conduct your time out. Leave all your communication devices and other electronics in time out for a while and spend quality uninterrupted time with your family and friends!
In addition to having a technology time out, you could use this container to implement a technology curfew. Or, you can be really brave, and attempt to host a tech free playdate or party.
I am sure you will have such a great time catching up with your loved ones while your communication devices are in time out that you won’t even miss being connected.