By contributing writer Beth
This No-Sew Homemade Cup Cozy is perfect for Mother’s Day or anytime you want to let Mom know she’s on your heart. She will love that you made it yourself!
- Hair Elastic (make sure it fits around the cup you’re gifting)
- Red and Pink Felt
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- Heart Embellishment
- White Eyelet Trim
1. Measure the circumference of the hair elastic when it is at rest (unstretched).
2. Cut the red felt to a rectangle that will fit around about 2/3 of the holding area of the cup. The length should be no longer than the circumference of the elastic.
3. Cut a piece of pink felt a little smaller than the red piece.
4. Cut the trim to fit along the bottom of the red piece of felt.
5. Place a line of glue at the very bottom of the red felt. Allow it to set for about 10 seconds to get a little tacky.
Firmly press the lace trim into the glue. You might even consider adding a few books on top of this to apply a few minutes of pressure.
6. Apply a liberal amount of glue onto the red felt where the pink felt will be positioned.
Press the pink felt into the glue firmly for about 20 seconds. Don’t worry if the edges overhang a tiny bit. We’ll trim that later.
7. Glue the heart to the pink felt. You’ll need a lot of glue for each of these steps because felt doesn’t like to be glued together. It’s mean that way. So use a lot of glue and pressure to get the job done.
8. Trim any overhanging lace or felt to make the edges nice and neat.
9. Cut a rectangle of felt to fit on the back side of the main piece of red felt. This is going to be the element that holds your elastic in place. Glue the TOP only of the rectangle to the red main felt piece.
Allow the glue to dry for 1 hour. I know this sounds like a long time, but you really need these elements to be solid before you move to the next step.
10. When the glue is dry, turn the cozy upside down and form it in a cup shape. The unglued portion of the felt flap will be facing up. Place the hair elastic INTO the felt flap.
Glue the other edge of the felt (once again, the top edge) so that the elastic is glued into a felt sleeve. You may want to use pins or clamps to hold this in place. It is crucial that this sleeve dries completely or your cozy will fall apart. Let it dry overnight before removing the pins or clamps.
Your cozy is ready for gifting!
When you stretch the elastic it will be exposed and the felt cozy will look like an apron on 2/3 of the cup. It doesn’t go all the way around the cup. If it did, the elastic wouldn’t be able to shrink back.