The following post is from contributing writer Kristen.
My 15 month old son was born at the same time as several other babies within our family’s social circle. I decided to make homemade felt Valentine’s Day cookies for him to give to his friends.
What toddler wouldn’t like to add to their play food collection? Felt Valentine’s Day cookies make great valentines. They are easy to make, are inexpensive, and will serve a purpose after Valentine’s Day is over.
Felt Valentine’s Day Cookies
- Tan colored felt
- An assortment of colored felt
- 3-D fabric paint
- Hot Glue gun or materials for sewing
- Pillow stuffing
1. Pick out or purchase all the felt colors you want. I purchased tan colored felt in bulk at the craft store. All the other colors were purchased at twenty cents per sheet.
2. Trace your cookies and cut out all the shapes you will need. Each cookie will need three pieces of felt. Two tan colored pieces and one piece for the decorations. You can use stencils if you prefer. I drew my cookies freehand. Most bakers usually don’t have cookies turn out in perfect shapes!
3. Attach the decorations to each cookie using a hot glue gun or sewing supplies. I use my hot glue gun when making felt crafts. If you are an expert sewer, you might choose yo sew your cookies. If using a hot glue gun, work slowly and remember to pull off any hot glue strings.
4. Attach the bottom cookie shape to your cookie. Leave a small hole for stuffing.
5. Stuff your felt cookie. I used a screw driver to help get all the stuffing in.
6. Secure the opening with glue or by sewing it closed.
7) Decorate your Valentines Day cookies with 3d Puff Paint. I wanted some of my Valentines Day Felt Cookies to look like conversation hearts. Others, I wanted to look like classic Valentine’s Day cookies. Be creative when decorating your Valentine’s Day cookies!
Making play food is a fun project and is very inexpensive. I really hope my son’s little friends like their Valentine’s Day Cookies and add them to their play food collections!
More Valentine’s Day Projects:
- Acrostic Poem Card
- DIY Burlap Valentine’s Banner
- Make Your Own Valentine’s Day Bath Fizzies
- 14 Homemade Gifts for Men