By contributing writer Beth
Once you’ve tried this easy, homemade Strawberry Shortcake you’ll never turn back to store bought. This recipe combines common ingredients with easy steps so that you can impress your friends and neighbors with a simple and delicious summer treat. And it’s one little dish that screams “SUMMER” loud and clear.
Make sure to not add too much milk into this. The mixture will be very dry and crumbly. But resist the urge to add more liquid. This shortbread is very close to scones. So just trust the directions, and they’ll turn out great.
Also, make sure to not over knead the dough. If you handle the dough too much, the butter will begin to melt and the shortbread will be tough and dry. Sticking with five folds during the kneading step will develop flaky and tender dough.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar + 1 tablespoon divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 pint strawberries cleaned and hulled
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375° F and line a baking pan with a tray liner or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, place the flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of white sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the milk and maple extract and stir until the dry mixture comes together. There will still be some dry spots. Don't worry.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough tenderly. Turn it over onto itself about 5 times.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Mold each portion into a small ball and smash it gently with your hand onto the lined pan. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- While the shortcakes are baking, slice your strawberries and place them into a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of white sugar. Stir gently and let sit on the counter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and whip until light and fluffy.
- When shortcakes come out, allow them to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut in half and serve with strawberries and whipped cream.