Homemade yellow cupcakes topped with a fluffy marshmallow frosting, sprinkles, and a cherry on top make these cupcakes look like an ice cream sundae!
You could use red, white, and blue sprinkles and patriotic cupcake liners for a 4th of July theme.
Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
Fluffy Marshmallow Icing & Decorating
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened at room temperature
- 13- ounce jar Marshmallow fluff
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Multi-colored nonpareil sprinkles
- Optional: maraschino cherries and/or large bubblegum balls
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease muffin pans or line pan with paper cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter, one at a time. Mix well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Using a mixer on low speed, add half of the flour and then half of the milk. Mix until well incorporated. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full and bake for 20 - 22 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to complete cooling process. Frost with icing when completely cooled.
Icing & Decorating
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the softened butter and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and mix on medium speed until the frosting becomes light and creamy.
- Add the marshmallow creme and mix until well incorporated.
- With a Wilton icing tip (I used size 1A), frost each cupcake.
- Shake the nonpareil sprinkles on top of each cupcake, covering the marshmallow icing completely.
- Top each cupcake off with a maraschino cherry or bubble gum ball.