Skillet potatoes is my twist on scalloped potatoes. This was a desperation pantry recipe last week and it was a huge hit. I had a few potatoes leftover and wasn’t sure what to make. I experimented and came up with this easy and delicious (although not terribly healthy recipe).
Skillet Potatoes (or Pantry Potatoes)
- 4 or 5 medium sized potatoes
- 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream optional
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- In a heavy oven safe skillet melt butter with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes and cook until the potatoes are coated with butter and are turning brown on the edges.
- Add evaporated milk and cream.
- Cook until the milk starts boiling.
- Place potatoes in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Adjust cooking time for the thickness of the potatoes. Thicker potatoes take a bit longer.
- Serve right from the skillet.