By contributing writer Kristia
My daughters gave these au gratin potatoes 2 thumbs up and asked for seconds. They are cheesy and hearty and the perfect side dish to accompany pork chops or turkey meatballs . Complete the meal with steamed vegetables or a garden salad.
Au Gratin Potatoes
Yield 4 -6
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced very thin, skins can be kept on
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer the potato slices in the dish and sprinkle the chopped onion on top of the potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, milk, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle paprika on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
Yukon gold potatoes are a softer potato and cook quicker than a russet or other type of baking potato. If you are not using Yukon gold, then you might need to bake longer to cook the potatoes all the way through. Also, a mandoline slicer works great for cutting the potatoes into thin slices.
Courses Side Dish
You might enjoy these other Potato dishes: