I’m so excited to be part of an awesome group of bloggers for a Holiday Sweets and Savory Treats recipe exchange! Because sometimes you just need a little sweet to go with a savory treat during the holidays. I decided to make a Chocolate Peanut Brittle that gives you a satisfying crunchy dessert drizzled with chocolate, of course!
Chocolate Peanut Brittle
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups roasted and salted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons butter plus extra for parchment paper
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 ounces chocolate candy chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Use paper towel to spread thin layer of butter over entire parchment paper.
- Prepare all ingredients so that they’re ready to stir in. Some steps happen quickly and you’ll want to have everything standing close by. Make sure that you have a metal or wooden spoon so it doesn’t melt.
- In a large pan, attach candy thermometer so that it is in the liquid but not touching the bottom of the pan.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in the pan. Stir over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved. Now don’t stir it again. Just don’t!
- Bring liquid to 300 degrees (hard crack stage). Remove from heat and immediately stir in peanuts, butter, vanilla, baking soda, and cream of tartar. The mixture will get foamy and start to harden.
- Quickly pour into the prepared pan and spread it out.
- Allow it to cool completely before breaking into pieces. This will usually take about 50 minutes or so.
- Melt candy chips with coconut oil in microwave. Dispense from condiment squeeze bottle to apply a drizzle of chocolate to each piece or you can use a spoon to drizzle if you don't have a bottle.
- Store in an air tight container.