By contributing writer Kristia.
Rice and Beans Stuffed Peppers make a meatless but hearty main dish. Serve with a garden salad and your favorite homemade bread.
- 6-8 large red or green peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked rice - your choice white or brown.
- 6-8 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers, but only discard the stem. Chop up the top piece of the pepper and set aside.
- Remove the inside seeds and white parts from the large part of the pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, onion, and chopped up pepper pieces and saute until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, black beans, and corn to the onion mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon the bean and rice mixture into the peppers.
- Place the stuffed peppers into a baking dish large enough to hold all of the peppers.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of shredded cheese over each stuffed pepper (optional).
- Add enough water to fill the pan ¼ inch up the inside of the dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
You should also try:
- Fiesta Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Grilled Stir Fry with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.