The following is a post from contributing writer SnoWhite.
Cherries are a delicious fruit – deep red in color and filled with antioxidants. In our house, we can’t get enough of them – dried, fresh, in cookies, BBQ sauce, jam, and desserts, we find ways to use our cherries!
This recipe combines our favorite breakfast – baked oatmeal – with our favorite fruit.
Save yourself a few cherries to try with this recipe over the summer, and you’ll be happy you started off your day with such a healthy and filling breakfast.
Cherry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup cherries pitted and halved
- Wash and pit your cherries.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Stir together the oats, salt and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir until just moist.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes until set.
You might also like…
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Glaze (Gluten Free)
- VegOut with a Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Apple Fritter Waffles
Find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.