In my life I have purchased a few eggplants and they have all rotted in my fridge. While the thought of making something with eggplant appeals to me, actually making it does not. I am not sure why I am drawn to purchasing this vegetable that I do not cook, perhaps it is the funny shape, purple color, or the fact that they go on sale. Needless to say, last week I bought one because my husband wanted to try it.
It sat in my fridge for a few days, but I was determined to not let it rot. One night while cooking potatoes on the grill, which by the way are the best food ever, I decided to grill the eggplant too. I do not particularly like eggplant, but this grilled version was pretty good. My husband gave it a thumbs up.
(scroll down for the recipe)
Mix all the ingredients together except the eggplant.
Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices. Brush the sliced eggplant on both sides with the marinade mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Brush again with the mixture and place on a hot grill.
Grill for 7 minutes and flip. Grill for another 7 minutes and serve.
Why should you eat eggplant? It is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of dietary fiber.
Random eggplant tip. Personally I do not care for the skin, but it contains nasunin, which is a phytonutrient that is really good for you. So if you can handle the bitterness, try to eat the skin. You can read more about eggplant nutrition on the World’s Healthiest Food’s website.
- 1 eggplant
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- dash of oregano
- dash of thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together except the eggplant.
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into ½ inch thick slices. Brush the sliced eggplant on both sides with the marinade mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Brush again with the mixture and place on a hot grill.
- Grill for 7 minutes and flip. Grill for another 7 minutes and serve.