By contributing writer Jackie
My family has been using cloth napkins for several years for a few reasons. They are frugal, better for the environment, and are sturdier than paper products.
While I have several types of cloth napkins I only recently thought about making some out of old T-shirts.
How to Make Upcycled T-Shirt Napkins
- Old T-shirts
- Sewing Machine
- Rotary Cutter & Mat
I had cut up a bunch of my husband’s T-shirts to make a T-shirt quilt and so I have a surplus of T-shirt fabric lying around.
1. Cut 2 squares out of your T-shirt using the rotary cutter and mat.
I made my napkins using a 12 1/2 inch square cutting guide but you can make yours smaller, larger, rectangular, etc.
2. Place the T-shirt squares together, lining up the edges.
3. Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, sew around the 2 squares being sure to leave 2-3 inch opening for turning.
It helps to start in the middle of one side and then stop 2-3 inches from your starting point after you have made it around all of the other sides.
4. Clip the edges off of each corner as shown in the picture below.
This is what your napkin should look like at this point.
5. Turn the napkin right side out through the opening you left in step 3.
6. Turn the edges of the opening under and then press the napkin.
7. Using a decorative stitch sew around all four sides of the napkin.
You can use a regular straight stitch if you prefer, but I personally like the look of the napkins with the decorative stitching.
That’s all there is to making a T-shirt napkin.
These T-shirt napkins are so easy to make and work very well. I think I am going to have to make lots more.
Considering a couple of my kids use their T-shirts instead of napkins I am hopeful our new T-shirt napkins will help keep the T-shirts they are wearing cleaner. 🙂
Do you use cloth napkins?