The following post is from contributing writer Kristen.
In an age where we communicate by using Facebook, Twitter, and email, I am sometimes afraid that the notion of sitting down and writing a letter might become obsolete. Giving a Pen Pal Kit is a great way to tell someone how much you want to stay in touch with them. Writing a letter is much more personal then just sending a quick Facebook message. Besides, getting a letter in the mail is exciting!
As a child, I often sent letters to my Great Grandpa Jim, my Great Aunt Shirley and tried to keep in touch with friends I made at camp. When I went off to college in 2001, my close friends and I sent each other snail mail letters all the time. I still have all of those letters.
A Pen Pal Kit is a great present for any person who does not live close by, such as:
- Camp Friends
- Family Friends
- Aunts and Uncles
- A brother,sister or babysitter who went off to college
- A relative or friend who is serving in the military
A Pen Pal Kit contains everything the recipient needs in order to stay in touch the old fashion way. This kit contains envelopes, paper, a pen, stationery. And a few extras, like stickers and stamps. When you make your Pen Pal Kit, add your personal touch when decorating it.
How to Make a Pen Pal Kit
- Transparant Pencil bag or a container of your choosing
- Stickers (optional)
1. Acquire all of the supplies above. Pick out envelopes and stationery you know the recipient will enjoy. If you and the recipient have a special inside joke or special memory, you can always include themed stationery or stickers in your Pen Pal Kit.
2. Arrange all of the pen pal supplies together. I chose a transparent pencil bag for my pen pal supplies. I thought it would be neat if the recipient saw all of the supplies in their kit while receiving it. A gift bag, box or basket are also great containers you can use to present this gift. This pencil bag can also be used for your pen pal to keep their letters in.
3. Include your contact information. Remember to include your address in this pen pal kit. You want to make sure your pen pal will be able to get a hold of you!
4. Remember to include Stamps. – The stamps really add the finishing touch to this gift. It really shows your friend or relative that you want to stay in touch with them.
5. Decorate your Pen Pal kit! Remember to add your personal touch to your Pen Pal kit. I love to decorate my gifts using brown shipping paper and sharpies. Decorate your gift your way.
A Pen Pal Kit is a great gift for adults or children. It promotes real letter writing. There is nothing quite like receiving a letter in the mail from someone whom you really care about.