by contributing writer Lana (like banana)
We have been remodeling our daughters’ bedroom. The theme is Parisian and Around the World. We have been doing this remodel with very little money. One of the most money saving tips we have is “Use What We Have and Make It New!”
Here is a simple way to give an ottoman a makeover for very little money.
- Spray paint
- Old ottoman
- Burlap material to cover cushion. (We used a coupon to buy it from Hobby Lobby.)
- Staple gun
- Take off the top cushion using a screwdriver to remove any screws that are holding it on. Keep all the screws in a cup or bowl so they won’t get lost.
- Remove the staples from the back of the ottoman. Carefully remove the material from the bottom of the cushion. To save even more money, reuse it. No one will ever even notice.
- Wrap your burlap over the cushion as you would wrap a present. For the corners, make an envelope fold and make sure they fold straight. Staple down if they are bulky. You can cut the excess, just make sure the top of the ottoman is pulled tight.
- Take apart the wood and spray paint it in a well ventilated area.
- Let dry overnight.
- Reassemble the ottoman.
- Enjoy your “new” piece of furniture.
Feel free to ask any questions, we learn as we go. The entire ottoman makeover cost about $5.00 or so.