by contributing writer Lana (like banana)
We have been remodeling our home. A few years ago, we did a DIY glazed look to our kitchen cabinets without sandpaper. But, since then we have expanded our kitchen and made our own cabinets.
Our entire kitchen re-model from the beginning to the finished product has been a rewarding process. We have learned so much and it has been a delight to finally have the completed project.
This is the final step in our Kitchen Remodel!
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets
- Kitchen Cabinets (Here is how to make your own Kitchen Cabinets.)
- Paint (We like Olympic One. It has Paint and Primer in one. Plus, it doesn’t have a bad smell like others. We also like using semi-gloss on cabinets – makes it easier to clean.)
- Paint Brush, Roller, and Sponge Brush
- Damp Rag
- Take off all your doors and lay them on a flat surface. Make sure they are clean of any dust or wood putty. Getting dirt in the paint is like getting crumbs in icing, it is not a pretty sight.
- Start with the backside of the door.
- Using your roller, roll it in the paint. Make sure you go with the grain and apply to the sanded door. Again, I say – Go with the grain!
If you don’t go with the grain, it leaves marks. Wipe any drip marks before they dry.
- Using your sponge brush, paint the inside corners and inner trim.
Wipe any drip marks before they dry.
- Allow your door to dry – overnight is best. Make sure all drip marks are wiped before they dry.
- Turn over the door and do the front side by repeating the steps above.
- Allow door to dry and then hang.
Enjoy your final product!
Other words of wisdom and lessons we have learned:
- Don’t paint in direct sunlight on a hot and windy day.
- Don’t let your brush become noisy. If it is noisy, then you need more paint.
- Let your paint dry and take breaks. When you come back from a break, it will help you gain perspective.
- Have fun. The finished project is worth all the sweat, tears and pizza nights.
See more of our Household DIY Projects:
- How to Choose Interior Paint
- Easy DIY Wood Counters
- Kitchen Cabinet Refacing
- How to Make Kitchen Cabinet Doors
- DIY Cabinet Makeover
- DIY Table Makeover
- DIY Shelves Makeover
- How to Make a Framed Bulletin Board