by contributing writer Jackie
Have you seen all of the cute little shrugs that people are making out of T-shirts? I knew I wanted to make one, but I decided to create an even simpler version than the tutorials I was finding. What I came up with literally took 10 minutes to make.
How to Make a Shrug from a T-Shirt
- T-Shirt (see notes below)
- Rotary Cutter & Mat (optional)
- Sewing Machine
I chose a T-shirt that was fairly thick with not a lot of stretch compared to some of the T-shirts in my closet. Because of this fact this large sized T-shirt was a little snug on me so my daughter is the one wearing the shrug in the first picture.
I think a good rule of thumb would be to pick a T-shirt that is at least one size larger than you normally wear if it doesn’t have a lot of stretch.
If you choose a T-shirt that has a more stretch you should be able to use a T-shirt that is your size.
1. Lay out the T-shirt so that the hem (the bottom of the T-shirt) is even and the T-shirt is fairly smooth.
2. Place the ruler across the T-shirt just below the sleeves.
3. Using scissors or a rotary cutter cut off the top of the T-shirt.
4. Turn the T-shirt wrong side out.
5. Place a pin 6 inches from the right side and another pin 6 inches from the left side of the T-shirt.
6. Add a few more pins in between to hold the fabric together.
7. Sew from the first pin to the last pin using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and the end.
8. Turn the T-shirt right side out.
9. Give the fabric at the 6 inch openings a little tug so the edges curl under.
10. Put your arms through the openings so that the fabric is at your back.
Here is what the shrug looks like from the back.
This was such a fun project I think I am going to have to make some more in different colors.
More Sewing Projects to Check Out: