By contributing writer Tessa
I was never a huge fan of fudge when I was growing up. Even then, when Captain Crunch Berries was one of my favorite cereals, I thought it was too sweet (who knows?!) Back then it had marshmallow creme. I don’t even know WHAT ingredients are in that today?!
Doing a quick Google search reveals popular recipes with eye-popping amounts of white sugar (3+ cups!!)….no thanks!
Here is a simple, quick and healthy fudge that is rich and chocolatey without being cloyingly sweet and super bad for you. Most important are the real food ingredients! So make something fancy this holiday season to impress someone. They don’t have to know it required almost no effort!
Quick & Healthy Fudge – Dairy Free
- 1 cup fat coconut oil, Earth Balance, butter, or ghee I used 1/2 cup coconut oil + 1/2 cup Earth Balance soy-free buttery cubes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder This is a KEY ingredient. Use a high quality cocoa. I like Dagoba
- 3/4 - 1 cup granulated sweetener to taste (I used xylitol, palm sugar, and some liquid stevia. Regular cane sugar will work too. Choose what works for you and your tastebuds.)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or other other flavor
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- Optional add in's: natural corn-free peppermint candy canes crushed, chopped toasted nuts, tart dried fruits, cocoa nibs.
- In a medium sauce pan over low heat, place all ingredients and whisk only until the fats are just melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into a parchment lined 8 x 8 inch pan. You could also use various candy molds for festive shapes.
- Chill in the fridge until firm and set, at least an hour.
- Cut into squares, or use some festive cookie cutters and enjoy!