by contributing writer Brandy Ferguson.
This whole grain maple pecan bread is delicious fresh out of the oven. Great for breakfasts, snacks, and maybe even dessert, this sweet treat is a delight!
The recipe works great for muffins, too. Just remember to reduce your baking time to about 20 minutes (depending on your oven). Keep a close eye, and remove from oven when tops are nice and golden.
Maple Pecan Bread
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar can use white, sucanat, or even honey
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- In a food processor, mix 3/4 cup of the pecans and 3/4 cup of flour, pulsing until finely ground.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the remaining flour, pecan flour mixture, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, and maple syrup. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in remaining pecans.
- Pour in a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, then rotate the pan. Bake for 30 more minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325°. Bake for 10 more minutes or so. Bread is done when edges begin to pull away from the pan.
Find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.