One of my quick go-to meals is slow cooker chili. My absolute favorite chili recipe is from my mother. It tastes great and is easy to make. You can also make this recipe on the stove top (follow the instructions and cook for 30 minutes).
However, I prefer the crock pot because I can prepare it earlier in the day and am not rushed at dinnertime.
I also double this recipe and freeze the other half in gallon freezer bags. For individual servings, freeze in smaller bags. This chili makes a great school lunch if your child has a thermos. (If they don’t have one, get one- best thing I’ve purchase for my kids this year!) Your child will have a warm, healthy lunch at school.
You also can use chili as a topping for your favorite foods. We serve it on hotdogs, spaghetti, and baked potatoes.
Since I’ve been more focused on fitness, I’ve taken my mother’s recipe and made it a little healthier. I’ve included the original chili recipe below, but scroll down for a healthier version.
Easy Crockpot Chili
Easy Crock Pot Chilli
- 1 pound ground beef and 1 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 1/2 cups kidney beans 3 cans
- 1 1/3 cup tomato soup 1 Can
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Brown the ground beef
- Add onion and finish browning
- Put beef and onion in slow cooker
- Add kidney beans and tomato soup
- In a separate bowl mix together chili powder, flour, water and salt
- Add to slow cooker
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours
- Serve with your favorite chili garnishes
There are several substitutions you can make to this recipe. That’s what I LOVE about chili, you can add variations and tweak to your liking.