I love French fries, however, fried food and healthy living don’t quite go hand and hand. When I started making changes to my lifestyle a few years ago I gave up fried food, including fries. However these crispy baked fries are just as good as the original!
Fries was one of the few foods I missed with my new healthy diet. Once I got fit I brought the fries back, but in moderation.
I really wanted to find a way to make fries at home in the oven that tasted as good as some of my favorite fried restaurant fries.
After trying a few different recipes I wasn’t able to get the fries crispy enough. I couldn’t get the texture right they were always a little mushy and didn’t taste great.
For me French fries have two requirements. They must be salty and they must be crispy. I’ll eat them thin, thick, waffle, or seasoned, but if they are mushy and lacking salt I’ll skip them altogether.
Last week I decided to try again (since I had a 10 pound bag of potatoes sitting in my kitchen) and spent a few days working on my fry recipe. (Tough job but someone has to do it!)
Then it hit me… I needed to soak the fries before cooking! Soaking potatoes helps get rid of the starch, and too much starch was making my fries mushy in the oven.
I tried it and the baked fries were absolutely perfect! They were crispy and tasted just like the fried version.
They are so easy to make and you can even do most of the prep work ahead of time if you wanted to make these for a a party or pot luck.
Crispy Baked French Fries
- 4 large white potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- Garlic powder
- Paprika Chili Power, Cayenne Pepper (use your favorite spices)
- Wash potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into large fry shaped strips, keeping the skin on.
- Soak potatoes in water for at least an hour. They can soak overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain water and dry potatoes thoroughly. Do not skip this step!
- In a large bowl mix together fries and the canola oil until the fries are covered.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add additional seasonings if you like spicier fries.
- Place fries side by side on a cookie sheet, making sure they are not piled on top of each other.
- Sprinkle with additional seasoning.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of your fries.
Once you try these crispy baked fries you’ll probably be able to give up regular fries! They are a healthier version, so try these instead next time you have a craving for French fries.