The following post is from contributing writer Kristia.
Are you looking for quick mid-week meal? Well, look no further. Cheddar Potato Soup is hearty, tasty, and takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Serve with a garden salad and your favorite bread, and dinner is complete.
Cheddar Potato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 celery stalks chopped fine
- ½ large red onion chopped fine
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds of red potatoes skins may be left on, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon course kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Crumbled cooked bacon optional
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Saute the celery, onion, carrots, and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stock, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring the entire time you are pouring in the pot.
- Continue to stir as you bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Using a potato masher, smash the potatoes in the pot. You could also puree half the soup in a food processor.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Top with crumbled bacon when serving (optional).
You might also like…
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Cream of Potato Soup
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Low Carb Italian Wedding Soup