I love buckeyes, they are one of my favorite Christmas candies. What I love about them, is that unlike many other Christmas candy, you don’t have to own a candy thermometer or double boiler.
This foolproof recipe turns out every single time!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening if you don’t use shortening you can substitute with paraffin
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar to form a smooth stiff dough.
- Shape into ping pong sized balls.
- Place on wax paper, and refrigerate or place in the freezer for 30 minutes
- Melt shortening and chocolate together on stove top over low heat.
- Stirring constantly until smooth, and remove from heat.
- Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.