Loosen your belts, everyone, as it's time for dessert!
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix all ingredients together to form the dough.
- Add the flour last and do not add all at once.
- Add slowly until the dough is the correct consistency to roll out (slightly sticky).
- Then chill the dough in the fridge for at least three hours. This is a key part of the recipe as cold dough rolls out very well, warm dough sticks to everything.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness and then use cookie cutters to create your cookies.
- I line my baking sheets with parchment paper to keep the bottoms of the cookies from burning.
- Also make sure you put cookies that are the same general size on the same cookie sheet. If you put a thin candy cane with a giant Santa head, your candy cane cookie will burn.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes. This will vary greatly depending on your oven and the thickness of the cookie. Thin cookies can burn in 7 minutes while fat cookies take about 10 minutes.
- When the cookies are just slightly golden take them out of the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for another minute.
- Then remove from tray and cool on a rack.
- Mix together butter and powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- While mixing pour in milk, small amounts at a time, until your frosting reaches the desired consistency.
- Spoon into separate bowls and add food coloring if you want a variety of colors and then you are ready to frost.
- Frost cookies with super sweet butter cream frosting.
- Don't forget to add decorative treats like sprinkles, coconut, chocolate chips and more as desired!