By contributing writer Tessa
Something about the post holiday glutton fest leaves people looking for fresh meals that won’t weigh them down in the new year!
While this fish tacos recipe works great rolled in traditional corn tortillas, I love this version with spicy cabbage slaw just as well, and I never feel heavy or over-full afterwards.
Here is my version of fish tacos made allergy friendly for those who need it.
- 10 ounces pre-shredded cabbage
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I use my homemade mayonnaise .)
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon or lime juice (plus more to taste if desired)
- 1 tablespoon Sriacha, optional (or any hot sauce)
- 2 teaspoons honey (or a few drops of liquid stevia)
- 1 pound white fish such as cod, cut into ½ inch thick pieces
- ¾ cup starch like arrowroot, potato, corn, or tapioca
- ¾ cup coconut flour or sweet rice flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Avocado oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients except the cabbage. Taste and adjust the sweet/sour/salty to your tastes.
- Toss in the cabbage, cover, and place in the fridge for serving.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat and set your oven to a warm setting. Place a cooling rack over a plate or cookie sheet, set aside.
- Mix all the coating ingredients (all but the fish) together. Coat the fish liberally on all sides.
- Once your pan is hot, add 2 - 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or other high heat oil) to pan. Swirl and heat briefly, then add some pieces of coated fish, ensuring there is no crowding in the pan which will not allow for proper crisping. I do this in 2 - 3 batches.
- Once the first side is golden brown and crispy, use a sturdy spatula to flip to the other side, and brown, about 4 - 5 minutes per piece.
- When done, place the fish on the cooling rack in the oven to keep warm while you finish the remaining fish.
- Serve the crispy fish atop a bed of the spicy slaw and add some avocado slices if you wish.
You might also like…