By contributing writer Tessa
This gluten-free zucchini bread is free of gluten, wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, and more, making it a good allergy-friendly way to use zucchini. But if you want to use wheat flour or eggs, instructions are provided.
The end of summer always equals a plethora of produce in our household. Having a few good recipes on hand to use up some large zucchinis is always a good idea. And with hungry kiddos to feed after school, having a more nutritious snack on hand is key!
If you do use an extra large zucchini, be sure to halve the squash and scoop out the soft, pulpy seeds using a sturdy metal spoon. This will provide more consistency. And if you have picky eaters in your house, puree the zucchini before using it, they will never know it is in there!
- 2 cups grated fresh zucchini
- 1 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup sugar (I like to use a mix of brown & white)
- ½ cup light olive oil, or any light tasting oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (this reacts with the soda for rise)
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup gluten free oat flour (you can make your own by whirring rolled oats in a blender or coffee grinder)
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional, but everything is better with chocolate!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the zucchini, applesauce, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
- With the mixer running, sprinkle in the dry ingredients over the top,
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased mini loaves or regular loaf pan. (I used 4 mini loaves).
- Bake for 30 minutes (for mini loaves), and 50 minutes for a regular loaf. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean, and you may need to bake longer to achieve this (moisture content of zucchini will vary).
- Cool for 10 minutes and invert on a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
Use 2 eggs in place of the applesauce and omit the apple cider vinegar.