I know there is a great debate over whether cornbread should be sweet or not sweet. I fall into the sweet cornbread group, so if you’re with me you are going to love this whole wheat version. Use this recipe for muffins for an easy Thanksgiving side or any fall potluck.
Sweet Cornbread (Whole Wheat)
- 1 cup [sifted whole wheat flour|http://thehappyhousewife.com/sifting-whole-wheat-flour]
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Mix together whole wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add egg, milk, and oil.
- Mix together until the dry ingredients are “wet.”
- Scoop into muffin greased cups or pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees.
- Muffins bake for 20 minutes, bread bakes for about 45 minutes. Cornbread is done when the top is golden yellow.
More Homemade Bread Recipes to Try:
- Homemade Bagels
- Homemade English Muffins
- Homemade Sweet Whole Wheat Bread
- Homemade Tortillas
- Homemade Whole Wheat French Bread Rolls
- Homemade Yeast Cinnamon Rolls