I love Mexican food, especially enchiladas. Many chicken enchilada recipes require cream of chicken soup. I LOVE these creamy recipes, but not everyone does, so here is a chicken enchilada recipe that is slightly healthier than your typical cream of chicken and cheese enchilada.
Recipe: Chicken Enchiladas
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Rotel tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 1/2 cups chopped chicken
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese (at least 2 cups)
- 16 oz can enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup oil
- In a sauce pan melt butter.
- Cook onions over medium heat in melted butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, and chicken. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken filling is simmering, fry the tortillas. (Notice I said this is a slightly healthier recipe- it’s time to fry! If you’ve never fried a tortilla before it is very simple.)
- Take a frying pan or iron skillet (my preference) and fill it with about an inch of oil.
- Heat the oil until it pops when you flick a drop of water in the skillet.
- With tongs take the tortilla and drop it into the oil.
- Fry it for about 20 seconds, turn and fry for another 15 seconds. (Do not overcook or your tortilla will be a chip.) Remove the tortilla and let it drain on a paper towel.
- Once your tortillas are fried and the chicken filling has simmered for 15 minutes it is time to fill and roll the enchiladas.
- Coat the bottom of a 9×13 pan with enchilada sauce, then begin filling and rolling your enchiladas.
- Add some shredded cheese and a bit of enchilada sauce to each tortilla before you roll it.
- Take your rolled enchilada and place it in the pan. Continue until the pan is full or you’ve run out of filling/ tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and generously sprinkle with shredded cheese. (Don’t skimp on the cheese!)
- Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Preparation time: 35 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner